U.S. Special Forces Team Rescues American Citizen Philipe Nathan Walton
Philipe Nathan Walton 27, the American citizen who was kidnapped in the African Nation of Niger last week was successfully rescued by U.S. Special Forces Saturday.
Walton was taken against his will from his property in Massalata in southern Niger Tuesday morning by 6 armed men who demanded a ransom from Walton's father.
The Defense dept. confirmed the night time rescue in a statement Saturday.
“This American citizen is safe and is now in the care of the U.S. Department of State. No U.S military personnel were injured during the operation”
U.S. officials said there were no solid leads that would connect Walton's kidnapping to being a terrorist-related action at this time. And said as of now, it is being investigated as a kidnapping for ransom. Walton is now back in Niger, according to the official, who said no ransom was paid.
If not for President Donald Trump who has repeatedly promoted his administration to focus on securing the release of all American hostages held by militant groups world wide as well as others being wrongfully detained. Who knows how long Walton may have continued to be held in kidnappers custody.